We use cookies to improve your experience on our site. If you continue using this site, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies. Read our Cookie Policies to find out more.

Search Order

English (United Kingdom)

Romanian laws permit foreign visitors to drive private motor vehicles with the International Driving Permit accompanied by a valid driver license from their home country. It is permitted to drive with the International Driving Permit for 90 day after arriving to Romania.


The main traffic rules in Romania:

  • Traffic glows on the right side of the road; overtaking on the left side.
  • The minimum age for driving is 18 years.
  •  A driver and all passengers must wears a seatbelt at all times white driving.
  • It is required to have in the car a warning triangle inside, first aid kit and tire extinguisher.
  • For driving in bad winter weather, it is required winter tires or snow chains.
  • The speed limit is 50 km/h in built-up areas, 90km/h – on open roads, 100km/h on dual carriageways, 130km/h – on motorways.
  • The legal drink driving limit is zero; a driver must be no alcohol in his blood when driving
  • In built-up areas, it is not permitted to use a horn between 22:00 (10pm) ND 6:00 (6am).
  • Children under 12 years of age cannot be ridden in the front seat.
  • It is a rule to give way to traffic coming onto a roundabout.
  • It is obligatory to park on the right hand side of the road, in the same direction as the traffic.
  • Pedestrians have a right of at pedestrian crossings and vehicles must give them way.
  • It is mandatory to have car insurance.

Additional requirements:

  • Foreign drivers need to buy a road tax sticker (Rovineta) which can be got from petrol stations and post offices.
  • Drivers must pay motorways tolls. It is recommended to have plenty of change (Euro).
  • Some petrol stations don’t take credit cards; it is necessary to pay by cash.
  • In case of an accident, driver must call and wait for the police (Politia) and Ambulance (Salvarea. If a foreign driver has a small accident, he needs to go to a Police office to make a declaration as the circumstances of the incident.
  • Police has a right stop any car to check a diving license or International driving permit and the car documents such as ownership and insurance.

(c) adcidl.com

Pin It

© All rights reserved  PLATFORMA s.r.o.